I find it bitterly ironic that I am in the most glorious setting on the planet with an iPhone brimming over with postcard-worthy pictures - and our friend Google has lost the ‘marriage’ licence between importing and pasting photos into the blog. My BFF CHAT and I spent a few hours trying various workarounds, all to no avail, and it was finally revealed that this is an issue that Google is trying to fix. Believe me, there are thousands of furious bloggers like me checking every two minutes on the functionality, so I hope soon I’ll be able to share some of the astounding beauty of this country.
Yesterday’s train trip was over all too quickly, despite the 7 hours that it took to arrive at Bergen station, and from there, to another little regional train that deposited us 15 minutes later at Trengereid. And, a daunting hill to climb to get to our lodgings. Mental reminder: The next time a host offers to pick us up, just say YES. It wasn’t a lengthy haul but it was sure steep and my lungs were on fire by the time we arrived and were greeted by our host, a Hawaiian lady (I’m not kidding! Where else would you find a Hawaiian lady but in a tiny Norwegian village?), who gave us a little tour and welcomed us with freshly pressed apple juice and Norwegian chocolate bars.
Without the cacophony of Dublin or the wet-laundry mildew of Oslo, I slept deeply. The air here is so fresh and invigorating and the view of our fjord is simply stunning. And it was a good thing I felt restored, as today held the mission of training back to Bergen, catching a different train out to the airport and picking up our Toyota Yaris, our faithful steed for the next 8 days. Google maps then got us to an excellent grocery store, and Dave unloaded about a billion kroners to fill the pantry to the brim. Fully loaded, we made it back to Trengereid without a hitch thanks to clearly marked roads and the constant advice from my iPhone. We are in the mountains here and therefore, many, many tunnels to drive through but all brightly lit and relatively quiet as far as the traffic goes. This is a breathtakingly beautiful country, with waterfalls around every corner and deep fjords and sparkling lakes everywhere.
I just wish I could share some pictures! Mañana, maybe. C’mon Google!
No comments:
Post a Comment