Train #40 carried us into Bergen today in the usual efficient 17 minutes, half of which was in tunnels. But what a deal, especially when you don’t want to drive in a downpour and look (and pay for) parking. $7 Canadian for two seniors. And, they forgot to charge us on the return.
Central station deposits you within perfect walking distance of everything - the Kode galleries showcased some beautiful Norwegian paintings including Harriet Backer, a woman who fought hard to make herself known as a female artist. I discovered Johan Dahl, a superbly talented landscape artist who painted Norwegian nature and the people who lived in it. A master of light. Two of my favourites:
And of course, weird old Edward Munch, who painted a heartbreaking self-portrait while he was in hospital for a nervous breakdown. There he became so enamoured with the German philosophy of health, nature and exercise, that his dark and disturbing paintings changed to a much cheerier presentation.
Two galleries were included in the price, the second an exhibition of modern art and photography. Strange and thought provoking.


Enough art. We explored old Bryggen and the Fish Market, which was lively and bursting with tourists. There, I disgraced myself by succumbing to a chocolate donut (and a pistachio one for Dave). Handed over the kroners and then winced when I did the conversion… my first $10 donut. I haven’t felt so fleeced since I paid 10 euros in Italy for gelato on a boiling hot day.
Serious rain began as we left the fish market, and I pulled out my lovely Monet rain poncho from my purse. When I did so, there was a clatter at my feet and I looked down to discover a thick gold coin in a plastic container. It’s a novelty coin, with yes/no written on each side, and I have zero idea of how it got there. I have never seen it before. However, serendipity follows her own plan, so we are going to use its flippability to help decide on our next destination(s). We fly out of Bergen one week from today. Any guesses about where we’ll land?
Tromso or Kirkenes.
ReplyDeleteGood guesses! But… nope!
ReplyDeleteHmmmmmm bet it’s not Calgary!!!
ReplyDelete